Looking to get started with PDO thread lifting? You’re in the right place!
In this article, we’ll go over patient care instructions both before and after your procedure, plus cover some of the most common questions we receive about PDO lifting.
Pre-Instructions for PDO treatments
- Patients are recommended to arrive 5-10 minutes prior to their appointment to complete new procedure documentation and to discuss the treatment with their provider.
- Patients are recommended to arrive to their appointment with no makeup. Any make up will be removed prior to treatment.
- Patients taking blood thinning medication (e.g. Aspirin) should consult with their physician if they can stop for 3 days prior to their treatment.
- Blood thinning medications make increase the possibility of bruising. Consult your physician prior to stopping any medication.
- Patients should avoid alcohol prior to treatment.
PDO Post-care Instructions
- Avoid tanning machines and direct sunlight, and apply SPF 30+ sunblock when going outside
- You may gently wash your treated area starting from the same day as your procedure, but avoid rubbing or massaging the face for at least two weeks
- Avoid opening your mouth too wide for up to 4 weeks, and reschedule any dental appointments for at least two weeks after your treatment
- Stinging or pulling pain and discomfort are normal, and can be alleviated with over-the-counter Tylenol 500 mg (1-2 tablets every six hours as directed). NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen and Naproxen should be avoided.
- Avoid alcohol and anti-coagulant medicines (aspirin, unless prescribed for medical indications) for 7 days. Avoid anticoagulant medications like aspirin (unless prescribed otherwise) and alcohol for a week, as well as blood thinning vitamins such as A, C and E
- Avoid high and low temperature extremes for at least 10 days
- Take a break from strenuous exercise for at least a week
- Avoid RF or heat-producing devices like cosmetic laser treatments for at least 10 weeks.
- Patient must finish course of antibiotics if prescribed as part of the treatment protocol. If prescribed antibiotics, finish them all
- Stinging, “Pulling”, scratchy sensations will all disappear by week 5. Stinging and pulling pain, as well as the scratchy sensation you experience after your procedure, will begin to subside be week 2 and disappear by week 5
- Follow up examination 7 days later. You will have a follow-up examination a week after your treatment
What is PDO thread lifting?
PDO stands for Polydioxanone, and has been used for over a decade in various types of surgeries. PDO threads are highly effective at strengthening and improving the contours of your face, improving sagging skin, lifting your eyebrows, and reducing roundness.
Which areas can be treated with PDO threads?
- Lower and upper cheeks
- Neck and jawline
- Nose to mouth lines
- Marionette lines
How does PDO lifting work?
PDO induces production of collagen, creating a lifting effect for 2-3 years after your procedure. The threads become a support structure for your face, allowing natural collagen production to take place.
What happens during PDO treatment?
After receiving a local anesthetic, PDO threads will be inserted using a micro-needle or cannula. PDO thread lifting is a very customized procedure, and your healthcare professional will work closely with you in order to achieve optimal results.
Also worth noting is that PDO treatments don’t involve any sort of incision, meaning stitches are not required.
When will I see results?
PDO lifting delivers immediate results which continue to improve over the next two to six months as new collagen is produced. Although the PDO threads will slowly dissolve, you’ll continue to see results for up to 3 years.
How long are PDO treatment sessions?
The time of your procedure will vary based on many factors—such as the size of your treatment area—but typically takes between 30 and 60 minutes.
Is PDO right for me?
The only way to figure out if PDO lifting is right for your body is to consult with an experienced medical professional to weigh your options.