Looking to get started with Kybella? You’re in the right place!
In this article, we’ll look at both pre- and post-procedure instructions for your Kybella treatment, plus go over some of the most common questions we receive about this incredible procedure.
Let’s jump right in.
Pre-Instructions for Kybella
Before receiving KYBELLA®, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area
- Have had or have trouble swallowing
- Have bleeding problems
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if KYBELLA®will harm your unborn baby)
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if KYBELLA® passes into your breast milk; talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you receive KYBELLA®)
Post-care Instructions for Kybella
- Apply ice to the affected area once per hour for 15 minutes or more, being sure to take breaks to avoid frostbite
- Avoid manipulating or massaging the area
- If significant pain or discomfort occurs, you can take 3-4 pills of over-the-counter ibuprofen or 2 pills of Tylenol Extra Strength
- Wrap your neck and chin tightly with a head wrap. You may also sleep while wearing the wrap
- Be sure to slightly elevate your head when sleeping for the first 2 to 3 nights
- Feel free to wash and shower as normal
- Sunscreen and moisturizers may be applied the day after your treatment
- Arnica gel may be applied to bruises to speed up the healing process
- Avoid strenuous physical activity for at least 3 days
- Mild/moderate swelling, hardness, tingling, numbness, tenderness, and slight bleeding should resolve on their own
- Men could experience lessened hair growth in some areas of the treated site, which will resolve in 4 to 6 weeks
- Most swelling will begin to improve by the fifth day following your treatment
- If you experience difficulty swallowing or breathing, skin discoloration or scabbing of the area, contact our office or 911 immediately
What is submental fullness?
Submental fullness is commonly referred to as a “double chin,” where excess fat gathers beneath the chin. Submental fullness can be genetic, or begin to appear with weight gain or age.
What is Kybella?
Kybella is the only injectable medication approved by the FDA for the treatment of submental fullness in adults.
How does Kybella work?
Kybella uses a naturally occurring molecule found normally in our bodies to help break down and absorb fat cells—permanently.
How many treatments will I need?
Each patient is different, but patients may receive up to 6 treatments of Kybella spaced at least one month apart. Many people will see noticeable results within 2-4 treatments.
How long will results last?
The results from Kybella are permanent. After achieving your desired appearance, no further treatment is expected.
Is Kybella right for me?
The only way to find out if Kybella is right for your body is to come in for a consultation to discuss your options with our team. At your free consultation, we’ll answer all of your questions and help you find the best path to achieving the results of your dreams.