Avocado is a highly beneficial fruit nutritionally for many of us. Yep, avocado is a fruit and not a veggie. It is part of the berry family and grows on trees. Many cultures throughout the world refer to avocado as a “pear” because of its shape. The most popular or well-known avocados in Arizona are the Hass Avocado (often spelled Haas) from California. The Hass avocado was a happy accident. Rudolph Hass, a postal worker, purchased a seed from Mr. Rideout, planted the seed, Mr. Caulkins, Hass’ friend, did the grafting and the rest happened naturally. The Hass avocado is the only variety that produces fruit year round.
What are the benefits of Avocados?
- High Energy Food: Avocados help us sustain long periods of energy we need for work or play. Because they are high in fat and low in sugar, they are a “slow-burning” fuel for our bodies.
- Healthy Source of Fat: Avocados are high in mono-saturated fats and therefore a healthy source of fat for our bodies which need fat to protect our brains and nervous systems. The basic mono-saturated fats increase our basal metabolic rate compared to foods that are made from poly-saturated fats.
- Vitamin E: Avocados are extremely high in vitamin E, which help us to maintain healthy immune systems and fight off illness more easily.
- Breast Cancer Prevention: Avocados are high in oleic acids which have been shown to prevent breast cancer. Researchers at the University of Granada in Spain found that avocado oil and olive oil, which are both high in oleic acid, lower the risk of HER2-positive breast cancer, which accounts for approximately 1 in 5 cases of breast cancer.
- Protection Against Eye Disease: Avocados have the carotenoid lutein in it. Carotenoids are what the plant uses to photosynthesize light and ward against the harm of UV rays. The carotenoid lutein in avocados assists humans in maintaining eye health and prevents macular degeneration and cataracts.
Avocado-Banana Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Banana
- 1 Celery Stalk
- 1 Cup Almond or Rice Milk *
- ½ Cup Ice *
- 2 TBSP Honey
- 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
Blend all ingredients together, refrigerate and serve when ready. *For Ice and Milk ingredients feel free to play with the amount. For a thicker smoothie use more ice. For a more liquid smoothie use more almond or rice milk